Saturday, December 3, 2011

40 - Settling in, A tour of the ice burgs and a seal of approval.......


Hello friends,

I know I haven't been as regular as last season but as this is all new to me I'm trying to soak it all in myself. But I am a sharing and well maybe a little caring at times too. So some of you still aren't aware exactly where I am so this blog I thought I would direct you to a map of where Davis Station is compared to Casey Station. CLICK HERE

So today is an important day in the history of Antarctic exploration as today the 2nd of December 1911, 100 years ago Douglas Mawson set sail for an epic journey. While today we live his dream on and explore, in a little more comfort than him, all the scientific secrets that this one of the last true frontiers left. CLICK HERE for the link to the centenary web site.

Today V2 (voyage 2) departed Hobart bound for Casey Station to drop off expositionars and resupply the station for the next year which coincided with a flotilla commemorating Douglas Mawsons voyage and the GG was there where she awarded the highest Australian Antarctic honour to a Antarctic Marine Biologist Dr Stephen Nicol, and the Master of Aurora Australias Captain Murray Doyle. CLICK HERE for the full story.

While I am on a roll with writing thought I would let you all know about a weekly news letter that we write here on station that normally has stuff in it that I don't cover, as I haven't done it. You might find it interesting though CLICK HERE and it updates normally every week. While I was wed trolling I also found an interesting page on the Div web site about all the interesting educational facts about almost everything CLICK HERE. There is also a couple videos that did last winter about life here, haven't seen them as the Internet is a little slow tonight but take a look and tell me what you think CLICK HERE.

So now let’s get to the fun part, a group including myself and my no so young friend Rowdy went out on a little jollie last weekend to a field hut called Platcha. More info can be found by CLICKING HERE but I will be going there again this weekend so I will put a little more with my own twist next blog. But for now I'm going to put some of the many pics I took on the way there.

First few pics are of a Weddell seal pupping area we went through on the way there. Was amazing as there was at least 70-100 Seals and their pups there and the noise, well Rowdy explains it as they sound like there is a party going on!!

 Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
All around Davis the hills are marked with these interesting rock strata. I don't really understand much about it but i did find THIS while I was scurfing the web. One of the many advantages of having scientists here, other than doing their own science, is answering some of my stupid questions which this isn't one!! LOL
  Pic Michael Goldstein

Here is a couple pic with some different Lichens that grow in our area. Sharon and Jess, some of you will remember Jess from her Moss tour in last seasons blog well Sharon is her supervisor and those of you who were interested in Jess's little talk HERE is a little more about it.
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein

Ice never seems to stop amazing me with all the different colours, textures, designs and shapes.

  Pic Michael Goldstein
  Pic Michael Goldstein
 Pic Michael Goldstein
SO last little thing is a video i quickly put together of our way home through ice burg alley, driving a hagg. ENJOY

Vid Michael Goldstein

Well another week gone and where dose the time go. It seems to go too quickly when I'm here, so much to do.

Last thing I wanted to talk about is family. I know I said it last year but this year it’s a little different. I AM THE MOST FORTUNATE KID IN THE WORLD. Not only can I say that I work in the most amazing place in the world but I also have the best parents in the world. It is especially hard for anyone down here when "stuff" is happening at home when your an expo down here as it’s not the communications as the phones work good, but it’s the not being able to hug someone, tell then you'll be there in 5 minutes where the best you can do in reality id 5 months when the ship picks me up. BUT along with BEST job and parents i have the best friends both here and at home. It makes me tear up to think what good fortune i have to be living a life that so few have and many dream of.
So friends I hope this finds you well and know that you all are in my thoughts often!

Take care,
Goldie

P.S.........................A family can develop only with a loving woman as its center.
                               Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel

No comments:

Post a Comment